The distinctive building now known as Green Exchange was originally constructed in 1913-1914 by the Vassar Swiss Underwear Company for the production of union suits. The building design was a collaboration between architect Lawrence Gustav Hallberg Sr. and his son-in-law Stewart Hodges. Their combined talents produced an early and excellent example of turn-of-the-century industrial construction that has stood the test of time. The Vassar Swiss Co. remained in the building until 1967, when its parent company relocated to Texas. The building was subsequently sold to another company, Frederick Cooper Lamps, which operated the Logan Square factory until 2004 when the company announced it was relocating to China.
The Vassar Swiss Co. Building, pictured in 1914, has been renovated to preserve its architectural heritage and place in Chicago’s history.